Sunday, November 5, 2017

Getting Personal with Ms. Mandela

Swati and I at StyleCon. (Swati's jacket is from her own collection).
Swati Mandela meeting and greeting influencers at StyleCon.

When I met Swati Mandela I naturally, addressed her as Ms. Mandela. Being the granddaughter of Nelson and Winnie Mandela, her last name speaks volumes. And right from the begining, she dropped the formality, “Please call me Swati,” she said. And that’s how our interview started.

Swati has a presence about her and whether her last name is a blessing or a burden she carries it well. Although she’s gracious she doesn’t have any airs or graces, which shows she’s comfortable in her own skin. Visiting from Johannesburg, South Africa where she lives, she was the keynote speaker at StyleCon. She spoke about her family legacy, women’s empowerment and her love of fashion. Afterwards, I got the chance to ask her some questions:

SA:What are the pros and cons of your iconic last name?
SM: Oh my goodness, let’s start with the cons. Actually there are no cons. I got over that and worked through that a few years ago. I thought that it was getting in the way of me being myself. So the pros are I have a great platform. I have this amazing legacy. I have the principals and values that both my grandparents taught me and I can take that on and live my life however I want.

SA: You’ve recently collaborated on a fashion line (Swati by Roi Kaskara). The collection showcases capes, scarves and a lot of color. You’ve also called fashion your armor. If you could be a superhero, who would you be?
SM: I’d be myself!

SA: What magical power would you like to possess?
SM: I’d love to be able to see the future. If I could see what is to come I could plan, I could strategize a way forward. Sometimes the scariest thing is not knowing what’s around the corner and not knowing if you’re making the right decision. So if I could have a looking glass and see what’s coming, that’s what I would love.

SA: In terms of style, what can we learn from South African women?
SM: Right now South African women are going through an emancipation of the self and they’re going back to their roots. You’ll see a lot of women wearing their natural hair or wearing “kente” cloth and just going back to being African. So it’s not about looking to the world for answers as to who we are, but knowing we are great within ourselves and building on that. I see a lot of that happening and it’s really empowering.

SA: What’s your favorite item in your closet?
SM: My old vintage Chanel handbag that I stole from my mom! Chanel was so ahead of her time. I don’t know any woman that wouldn’t want a vintage Chanel handbag!

SA: What do you like to take back home from California?
SM: Nice clothes! (She laughs). I think great connections and the amazing people that I’ve met and the experiences. You’re blessed when you go through life and meet interesting people, that add value to your life!

Thank you.

Sabrina x

No comments: