Saturday, October 10, 2015

Getting Personal with Karen Hsiang, Owner of The Shangri-La Boutique


True artists do their own thing and find their tribe organically. That’s what jewelry designer Karen Hsiang does everyday. Her tiny treasure filled jewelry boutique at Union Market has become my go to source for simple, delicate, well-made jewelry. Her designs stand out, but in a subtle way. I feel like I'm always the one wearing the jewelry and not the other way around.
I recently had a chance to ask her some questions:

Karen Hsiang owner of my favorite jewelry store in OC. I even love the name, Shangri-La being a fictional place, an earthly paradise described in the novel Lost Horizon by British author James Hilton. It also happens to be the name of heiress Doris Duke's Islamic style mansion just outside Honolulu.

Jewelry and prose!

Yours truly making decisions, decisions....

What item of jewelry do you have to wear everyday?
My grandmother passed her tennis bracelet to me and it never leaves my wrist. I can still feel her aura and it makes me feel at ease.

What's your favorite jewelry brand, apart from your own right now and why?
I love Tiffany Kunz Jewelry. Her collections are very wearable and versatile for all different women with varying styles. Her line is eco-conscious which I feel is such a great bonus to her brand.

Tell me how you got to open your own jewelry store?
I started the shop on a whim. I had a budding online shop and stumbled upon my first location in Costa Mesa in a tiny trailer spot. I knew it was empty for a reason, and signed my lease the day after I saw it.

Where is your favorite place to hangout with friends?
My favorite nights with friends, consists of someone’s living room, a great cheese plate, and lots of wine. Being in a setting like that is so much more intimate than being out at a restaurant.

Jewelry is associated with happiness and celebrations, what makes you happy in life?
My family and friends bring me the most joy. They have been the most supportive of my journey and without them, I don't know where I would be.

What's the most recent item of jewelry you've made?
In the shop, I usually make a few items a day just to keep my creative juices flowing. Necklaces and bracelets are in my weekly rotation. I make a lot of custom pieces for clients as well, so that’s a daily thing.

What's your favorite clothing boutique in OC?
A'maree's in Newport Beach has such a fresh take on designers/brands. The space is amazing and I want to move in ASAP. The OC isn't known for cutting edge style, and I think they do a very good job at curating pieces and people that bring life into a rather boring fashion bubble. 
What’s your preference: diamonds or pearls?
Diamonds. Rough diamonds are what I'm obsessing over right now.

What advice do you have for budding jewelry designers?
Be creative. Be bold. Be yourself.

Where is your favorite romantic spot in OC?
I wouldn't say it's romantic, but my boyfriend and I had our first date at Portola in Costa Mesa, so it just sticks with me as our "date" place.

What form of art do you love?
Dance is my favorite form of art. I could watch any type of dance for hours if I could. Before I opened the shop I was a dance teacher for over 6 years, and the dance world has really shaped the core of my jewelry collection. The forms, movement, and conviction of dance really resonate with me and my creative imagination.

Tell me a funny store about your store or a piece of jewelry you’ve made:
I'm literally laughing everyday at the shop. My customers are the most amazing and the most hilarious. I feel like a psychiatrist sometimes because people will tell me their entire life story, but I appreciate that and I love the interaction and the personal aspect.

What item of jewelry would you be thrilled to receive from your significant other?
I haven't gotten THE ring yet. ;) 

For more information visit: www.TheShangri-La.com

No comments: